Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Announcing Run for Amesbury Municipal Council District 6 in 2013

I am excited to announce that I have submitted nomination paperwork to the Amesbury City Clerk's office for the Amesbury Municipal Council, District 6.

I had the great privilege to serve in this capacity previously, for a single term in 2008-9. I valued my experience representing District 6 on the Municipal Council. In the summer of 2009, however, I got both a new job title and a new child. My new responsibilities prevented me from considering a 2nd run for Council. In the meantime, I have served 2 terms as an Amesbury Library Trustee and also chaired a 2010 Ad-Hoc Citizen's Committee appointed by the Municipal Council to comment on the City's overall financial position.

I am inspired to run for Municipal Council by a few things:
  • My wife and I love this community and want to see it continue to grow and prosper, especially now that we are raising a child in it. 
  • I am concerned about the devil's choice that the City had to make this year with the School budget.
  • I want to support continued progress in Amesbury's ongoing development, such as the improvements slated for the Lower Millyard and improved infrastructure planning. 
  • I want to insure that we continue to adhere closely to the Amesbury Master Plan and, if possible, have it updated. 
About me, briefly. I work from home doing national affordable housing and community development work, mostly with other municipalities. From 2002-9, I served on the board of directors for the North Shore Housing Trust, which merged in 2009 with Harborlight Community Partners out of Beverly. NSHT was responsible for building several affordable rental and home-ownership opportunities for low-income seniors and families on the North Shore.

 Here in Amesbury, I have had the privilege to serve on several boards and committees, including:
  • Amesbury Master Plan Implementation & Oversight Committee (2005-2009) 
  • Amesbury Charter Review Committee (2006-7) 
  • Amesbury Municipal Council, District 6 (2008-9) 
  • Ad-Hoc Citizens Committee Chair (Municipal Council, 2010) 
  • Amesbury Library Board of Trustees (2010-present) 
I will be posting more here, as the election season progresses.  I look forward to talking with my neighbors and friends about Amesbury's future.